Friday, January 2, 2015

thoughts on becoming a more holy woman

This post will explore some of the thoughts I had while thinking about how I could apply my word of HOLY to my life in 2015.  This is by no means a comprehensive list and I am sure what I do and how I do it will ebb and flow as I go through my days, as I try to listen to the Lord's inspiration, and as I improve.

I will strive to be holy in  my HOMEMAKING by remembering that I am doing the work I believe God has given me—to be a wife and mother and homemaker.  I will work to have a holy attitude about my routine tasks (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.) by reminding myself that I am creating an environment where the Spirit of the Lord can dwell; where my family will feel safe and loved; and where visitors will feel welcome. I can be holy in my organizing by remembering that I am creating "a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God" (D&C 88:119).

I will be holy in my role as a MOTHER by remembering that these children are God's children that He entrusted to me to love, nurture, teach and raise.  I will be a holy mother by being patient with their mistakes; being patient when they are learning something new; teaching them gospel principles and other essential life skills; working to modulate my voice and facial expressions; and being WITH them and not letting electronic entertainment take so much of their time.

I will be holy in my role as a WIFE by remembering that my husband is not a mind reader and if I want him to help with something, I can ask him kindly; I will ensure we have regular dates and social events with our friends; and supporting him in his Church callings and responsibilities.  I can also be a holy wife by expressing frequent and sincere appreciation for all he does when I am busy doing my own church responsibilities (I'm 2nd counselor in the Relief Society) and he takes over the home and family.

I will be holy with my FINANCES by remembering that God giveth all things, so I will honor Him by paying my tithing and fast offerings each  month before paying any other obligations; being on time with payments owed to others; and being wise with the use of our discretionary income (establishing/maintaining bank accounts for various expenses that come up through the year so we don't have to do things like charge property taxes to a credit card, etc.). 

I will be holy in my CHURCH RESPONSIBILITIES by: becoming a good friend to those sisters I visit teach; preparing visiting teaching messages to meet the needs of the sisters I visit teach; carrying out my Relief Society responsibilities as promptly and as thoroughly as I can; communicating with the Presidency members and the Board members I work with; thoughtfully choosing hymns for the sacrament service; fellowshipping other ward members, especially those who are less-active; and showing respect for my children's church responsibilities by being at church early. This is church-related, though not church-responsibilities-related—I can ensure that we have a holy Sabbath morning by preparing as much as I can on Saturday (clean the house, make sure all clothes are ready, have my lessons prepared and materials gathered, any advance food preparation done, etc.)

I can be holy in my SPIRITUAL ENRICHMENT by studying the scriptures, not just reading them.  I can really pay attention in church meetings (so far as my children will let me) and find ways the presented messages can apply to my life.  I can prepare for bed a little earlier so I can have meaningful prayers with  my Father in Heaven. 

I can be holy in my efforts to take care of my PHYSICAL BODY by remembering that my body is a temple and it deserves the greatest care.  I can eat less of what I know is not good for me and more of what IS good for me.  I can exercise more and sit less.  I can ensure I get enough sleep and drink enough water and do little things that help me feel good physically such as washing my face nightly, applying moisturizer, getting regular haircuts, etc.

I can be holy with my HOBBIES by choosing to do things that uplift me.  I love to read and I can be wise in my choice of books.  I enjoy scrapbooking and I can remind myself that I am documenting my family's history, and my own.  I can remember that "whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.  And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come" (D&C 130:18-19).  I can enjoy learning new things, and I can be holy in such learning by choosing to learn things that will benefit me, my family, my spirituality, others, and my future life.


As I thought about all the ways I could apply the phrase "What would a holy woman do" to the areas of my life, I realized that what I have written here is but a small part of the ideas I had.  No doubt as I go through 2015, and apply that question to different activities, I will be inspired in different ways.  

No comments:

Post a Comment